Friday, December 7, 2007

Since doing my content analysis on infant and child advertising in print magazines I have noticed how much these children are sexualized in their poses, positioning, and objects they're holding. I conducted my content analysis through five different baby magazines, yet lately I have noticed the same trend through all magazines. Babies are regularly placed with their head near the groin of the adult they are featured with or they are repeatedly featured naked. Many babies are also photographed with sexual placement of object innocently being held by the child. Lastly, the photograph can be centered on the groin or buttocks of the baby. Although I am clearly not an expert in the field, I truly believe that there is a much greater impact on the viewers of these photographs than many consciously realize. Since it is already known that sexual depictions on TV and in print have a serious impact on teen and adolescent viewers. It is only a matter of time before the sexual depiction of babies is found to have an equally serious impact.

No comments: