Thursday, December 13, 2007

I have really enjoyed this class throughout the semester. I've learned the importance understanding how dangerous stereotypes can be, the hidden messages behind advertising in both commercials and print and the unfortunate fact that women are sexualized in the media. It was especially interesting to hear from all the different perspectives that everyone had and I particularly liked the discussion in the beginning of the semester about whether the terms black, white, African American or Caucasian is politically correct or not. I think the most crucial part of this class is to remember to take with me all that I have learned. After taking this class, I notice so much more when I view a commercial or print advertisement. Most recently I have seen an advertisement by Dolce and Gabana which perfectly emulates gay-vague advertising. I know had I not taken this class, the hidden messages in this commercial would have gone completely unnoticed.

No comments: