Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I thought the Axe/Dove campaign link quite interesting. To start, I personally do not take anything on the Axe commercials literally, but rather humorous. I find it thoroughly entertaining that women are seen as sexual objects ready to mate with anyone if they're wearing a scent such as Axe. However, at the same time I can see why critics are upset. To begin with, you children and even some teenage girls may find the Axe advertisements enlightening and attempt to follow the example it depicts with a young man. I thought it was even more alarming that both Axe and Dove are represented by the same advertising company yet they appear to be arch enemies. It did not surprised me to learn that the creator of this controversy works for campaigns with both companies and perhaps even had this entire confrontation planned ahead of time. While I do agree that Dove does an excellent job of portraying real beauty and a real women, it is conflicting for people who want to support Dove's campaign but are also indirectly profiting Axe. It takes a child or teenager of thorough understanding that the message depicted in the Axe commercials are not to be taken literally, but from a rather humorous approach

No comments: