Friday, November 9, 2007

Both articles from the NY Times present debatable topics that are not easily answered. I thought the class discussion was very interesting in the sense that some people truly felt video games, music videos, hip hop and other forms of media truly had adverse effects on teenagers. I happen to strongly agree with this argument. After reading both articles, the chapters in the text for this week, and considering the discussions in class from last week, I really think there needs to be a change in certain types of media projections. Hip hop for one thing constantly portrays women as oriental flowers or brown sugar, while men are depicted as wealthy, controlling and they consider women to be sexual objects; nothing more. I really think that with continuous exposure to such images, as well as violent video games, the effects on teenagers are detrimental. Although this debate will continue to flourish until solid proof is available for either side, until then I hold my ground!

No comments: